Lactation Consultant Services
For antenatal period and infants 0-6 months of age, where mother and baby may be experiencing a breastfeeding difficulty.
What does the service provide?
- FREE access to a Lactation Consultant-this service is funded by Tairawhiti District Health (TDH).
- It offers you an appointment with a lactation consultant (IBCLC) either in your home or in a clinic setting, with follow up included.
- Access to breastfeeding equipment that may be needed.
What is a Lactation Consultant?
A Lactation consultant is a professional who has met all the requirements to hold an international qualification. This enables them to offer specialised assistance to breastfeeding mothers and babies, alongside other care providers. Within our scope of practice we are unable to prescribe, and will make appropriate referrals when needed.
How do I access the service?
You will need a referral from your health provider, eg. Midwife, Well Child Provider, GP, Hospital Staff or community health worker. Referrals can be sent through via fax, email, or phone.
What happens at a visit?
- Listen to your concerns/issues and take a history.
- Observe baby feeding.
- Discuss some solutions and write a management plan.
- Communicate outcomes with the referrer and follow up if needed.
- Please bring a support person if possible.
Partners and whanau are welcome